Try this great chicken classic from Granny Bob's Homestyle Cooking that was served at the funeral of Ole Hardhide (the town mascot of Ponchatoula, Louisiana)
Page 37 Granny Bob's Homestyle Cooking
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 4-5 lb. stewing chicken cut into serving pieces
• ½ cup shortening
• 3 cups water or chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon celery salt
• Pepper to taste
1. Mix together flour, salt and pepper of rub. Dredge pieces of chicken with this mixtures.
2. Melt shortening in 6 quart pan or Dutch Oven at hi heat, until liquid, then reduce temperature to medium.
3. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
4. Pour off fat, reserving 3 tablespoons to remain in pan.
5. Add water or chicken broth, salt, celery and pepper. Increase temperature to high again. Cover pan and cook until steam escapes freely, then reduce temperature until low.
6. Cook until tender, approximately 3 hours.