Cream Caramel Cake
Recipe on page71 in Granny Bob's Homestyle Cooking
- 2 ½cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Beat 1 cup butter or shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in coffee and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa; add to butter mixture. Stir until flour mixture is just absorbed, but do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- While you wait, make the icing.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 pound bag powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- Sift cocoa and powdered sugar together.
- Beat butter into mixture at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Next, beat in egg yolk.
- Finally, add coffee and vanilla.Spread icing between layers and stack two cakes atop each other. Next, spread icing on top and sides of cake. Garnish, with additional cocoa powder or instant coffee if desired.