These cookies are sure to warm the heart of your friends and family.
INGREDIENTS:7/8 cup shortening (do NOT use butter)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
4-5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can cherry pie filling or other favorite pie filling
- Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift together soda, salt and flour. Add flour and butter milk to creamed mixture, alternately.
- Chill dough for several hours.
- Remove small amount of dough at a time and roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out with a circular cutter an even number of cookies, placing half on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place 1 teaspoon of pie filling in center of cookie. Cover with remaining cutouts. Press edges down so filling does not escape.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes (these will not get brown—are a soft cookie).